In 2014 the Virtual Services Committee invited the Board of Trustees and the Region Chairs of Overeaters Anonymous to share insights on some of their favorite OA literature and on topics that made a difference in their recovery from compulsive eating. In the series OA Literature-The Heart and Soul of OA, you will hear how OA and its literature helped members move from the pain of the disease to the passion for recovery and carrying the message. In the series Our Primary Purpose, you will hear about the Disease of Mind, Body and Spirit; Plans of Eating, Tools, Abstinence, How to sponsor; the 12 Principles, 12 Steps, 12 Freedoms, Strong Meetings and Recovery from Relapse. Members share their experience strength and hope to bring the Twelve-Step program of Overeaters Anonymous to life.
More information about the podcassts and download them at http://www.oa.org/oapodcasts
Information about upcoming events at http://www.oa.org/datebook-calendar/
A letter from Kay S, our current Chair, our Intergroup is in need of people to some key service positions.
OA Dallas Metroplex Intergroup will be meeting next Sunday, September 21st at 6:00 p.m. At that time, the most important piece of business we will need to address will be elections for two open Board positions.
Our bylaws require that we have 3 of the 5 Board members present in order to conduct a meeting, and we are currently in a position where two of these offices are vacant. We were already in need of a Board Advisor because I left that position to become the Chair; our Secretary has also had to step down on short notice for personal reasons. Both of these roles require a year of continuous abstinence as personally defined.
I am asking for your assistance with this urgent need. Here are some ways you can be of service:
- Please keep this issue in prayer. Higher Power has a much better imagination than I do!
- Please pass this message on to your networks, by phone, by email, in person.
- If you know of somebody who is qualified, please personally invite them to consider being of service.
- If you are interested in either of these service opportunities or you know of somebody who has expressed interest, please let me know.
Thank you for your support and consideration. I can be reached by phone at 940-594-1650 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Yours in service,
Please consider supporting your recovery and helping others by giving a little bit of time to keep our Intergroup thriving. OA is self-supporting and it strengthens our recovery to be of support to the OA community. It is a single one-hour meeting per month and maybe a little time outside of that meeting.
What is an Intergroup? Two or more groups can form an intergroup (IG). The intergroup provides services to existing groups within its geographical area and spreads the OA message of recovery to those who still suffer. There are about 30 Groups in the Dallas Metroplex Intergroup (DMI). More information and the DMI bylaws can be found at http://oadallas.org/about-oa/about-dmi/
For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority — a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.”
— OA’s 2nd Tradition
From our nearby fellows in the Ft Worth area, the most recent edition of Looking Up – the OA Tri-County Newsletter is online.
Lots of experience strength and hope at some upcoming OA workshops and retreats in the DFW area.
Oct 4: Don’t let the upcoming holidays steal your abstinence
Hosted by Tri-County Intergroup of Overeaters Anonymous
- October 4th, 12:30 registration, workshop is 1-4pm
- Download the flyer and share at your meetings
- South Hills Christian Church, 3200 Bilglade Rd, Fort Worth, TX 76133 [map]
- If you have questions contact Carolyn D – 817/924-2328 – email@example.com
Oct 31 – Nov 2: “Big Book Comes Alive in OA”
The annual Glen Rose Retreat hosted by OA Tri-County
- Download the flyer and share at your meetings
Glen Lake Camp and Retreat Center, 1102 NE Barnard Street, Glen Rose, TX [map]
- Questions: Kathy C. 817-307-2331 or Mary Lou 817-287-9440; website oa-tricounty.org
Nov 29: Abstinence: Honesty & Humor through the Holidays
1 hour workshop hosted by Farmer’s Branch Saturday Meeting
- Nov. 29 at 11 am.
- Workshop 11 am – 12 pm.
- All are invited lunch and fellowship after the workshop (location TBD by the group)
- Location: Faith United Presbyterian Church, 12717 Marsh Lane, 1 block north of LBJ [map]
- If you have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 214-809-7949
OA WSO Monthly Telephone Workshops
Did you know our WSO hosts monthly telephone workshops? These are provided by the Board of Trustees Virtual Services Committee, featuring Region Chair speakers.
- October 5th, 2–3 p.m. CDT, “Literature: Heart and Soul of OA,” Featuring Just for Today and Pocket Reference for OA Members
- October 12th, 2–3 p.m. CDT, “Strong Meetings”
To join the workshops, call 1-424-203-8405 and enter access code 925619#
For questions or comments, contact Virtual Services Trustee Stephanie D. at 1-727-641-3437; email@example.com.
These occur monthly! Check the OA.org Datebook for these and other events.